Wednesday, June 6, 2012

YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday - Best book read in May?


I am in the middle of a re-write of my YA Fantasy "Elemental Fire", working with a crit partner and a review that turned into an edit. So reading for fun slowed down a lot in May. The best book I read was "The Fire in Fiction" by Donald Mass. Oh, my antagonist is getting a whole new side to him, thanks to the insightful exercises in that book. How I wish I'd read it before spending two years flying by the seat of my pants! Good thing I'm kinda weird and truly enjoy the revision process.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Road Trip, Marlene! I haven't read THE FIRE IN FICTION, but I've read Maas's THE BREAKOUT NOVELIST. There's nothing like reading good craft books to inspire and spur on your writing. I'm currently reading Janet Evanovich's HOW I WRITE, and feeling similarly inspired. I've added this book to my TBR. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Donald Maass! Fire in Fiction is great. Have you read "Writing the Breakout Novel" or used the "Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook?" They are EXCELLENT!

    I'm reading Blake Snyder's SAVE THE CAT STRIKES BACK right now - another great book on craft!

    Welcome to RTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Road Trip! I have not read THE FIRE IN FICTION, but I will need to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love craft books and this sounds like a good one! Will have to get it when I can...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this book! I'll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete